OVER A CENTURY STRONG
Since our history in 1908, when J.C. Koopman, the Dutch entrepreneur and global nomad founded the Hollandse Club, our space has been a haven for Dutch and International members who wanted to be part of a vibrant, dynamic and welcoming community. Originally an intimate clubhouse based off Cairnhill Road, we quickly became one of the most fashionable and talked about Club’s in Singapore – known for its informal vibe for good times and great activities.
By the 1950’s, and after several changes of venue, we established the Club at its current location off Adam Road, in a beautiful black and white property set amongst lush jungle. We remain true to our founding principles of diversity, friendship and fun and continue to welcome new International members to our ever-growing community.
The Hollandse Club originated from a soccer team of 11 players that also wanted to get together for other sports, tennis in particular. Due to the increasing number of Dutch in Singapore from 1900 onwards, they managed to get together thanks to the founding father and driving force behind the development of the Club: Jacob Christian Koopman.
When World War 2 broke out, the Dutch gathered at the Club during the Queensday celebration to listen to a speech from the Consul General Mr. Fein, who addressed the 1500 strong crowd by expressing solidarity to the homeland which was recently invaded.
During the invasion in Singapore, Club life came to an abrupt halt and only resumed when a few energetic businessmen from the Nederlandsche Handels Maatschappij, bought a plot of land at Camden Park for 31k Straits Dollars.
The new Clubhouse came with dance floor, stage, bar billiard room, a library and of course tennis courts.
The Club was until then mostly managed by its members and a small number of staff. With the increase of activities and expansion of food and beverage services, the first General Manager was employed in 1959, Mr. van Reeken. Not all the General Managers that followed were Dutch, in fact most of them were either Singaporean or British.
The Club Magazine is one of the most important ways to promote the Club in Singapore and for communication to members. There is no proof of any publication before 1940. The first booklet was published in 1959 in A5 format. In 1996, it became an A4 size format and from 2003 it received its name: “The Magazine”.
There was one thing the Club never had; a swimming pool. Members would go to other clubs such as the Singapore Swimming Club to relax by the pool. In the late sixties, it was suggested to convert one tennis court into a swimming pool during an AGM. Tennis being the oldest sport played at the Club, there was quite some uproar. However, members were convinced and 1 tennis court converted into a pool.
The Club professionalised in food and beverage service which would start to become an increasingly important element of Club life. With the arrival of Bert Bronsveld as President, the swimming pool was rebuilt, a new tennis pavilion was opened and additional tennis courts were available. New sports became popular such as squash, snooker, golf, yoga, ballet and fitness.
2016 Being member of a Club wasn’t as cool as it used to be. Young families would live more and more in condos, expat packages were changing and networking and activities could be enjoyed everywhere. It was decided that it was time for a drastic turnaround. The joining fee was waived and the social membership launched. The Club was fully rebranded and received a new logo and brand. It would start to look like a Bali Beach resort, with fresh colours and fun quotes.
Today the Club is an international, family friendly community. Our focus it to be warm welcoming to nationalities from all over the world. We take play seriously and organise many events and activities. We have over 1500 adult members who love being members of the club and create memorable moments with family and friends.