History 2017-08-16T03:12:21+00:00

OVER A CENTURY STRONG

Since 1908, when J.C. Koopman, the Dutch entrepreneur and global nomad founded the Hollandse Club, our space has been a haven for Dutch and International members who wanted to be part of a vibrant, dynamic and welcoming community. Originally an intimate clubhouse based off Cairnhill Road, we quickly became one of the most fashionable and talked about club’s in Singapore – known for its informal vibe for good times and great activities.

By the 1950’s, and after several changes of venue, we established the club at its current location off Adam Road, in a beautiful black and white property set amongst lush jungle. We remain true to our founding principles of diversity, friendship and fun and continue to welcome new International members to our ever-growing community.

Hollandse Club

1900
January 1

1900

The Hollandse Club originated from a soccer team of 11 players that also wanted to get together for other sports, tennis in particular. Due to the increasing number of Dutch in Singapore from 1900 onwards, they managed to get together thanks to the founding father and driving force behind the development of the Club: Jacob Christian Koopman.
1908
July 25

1908

Mr. Koopman made of his house the first Club. Though it was a normal residence, the members were now able to socialise and party on a regular basis and after constructing a tennis court, play their first home matches.
1911
July 25

1911

Being all businessmen, Mr. Koopman and 9 others had greater things in mind and moved on with their ideas of owning a clubhouse. And so, 3 years later they collectively purchased a piece of land at 30 Cairnhill Road for Straits Dollars 11.000.
1920
July 25

1920

With the increasing amount of Dutch in Singapore, the need to provide schooling for Dutch children grew. Although the students were few in the beginning, classes were conducted at the Club at first until in 1928 the Hollandse School opened its own premises at Orange Grove Road.
1940
July 25

1940

When World War 2 broke out, the Dutch gathered at the Club during the Queensday celebration to listen to a speech from the Consul General Mr. Fein, who addressed the 1500 strong crowd by expressing solidarity to the homeland which was recently invaded.
1948
July 25

1948

During the invasion in Singapore, club life came to an abrupt halt and only resumed when a few energetic businessmen from the Nederlandsche Handels Maatschappij, bought a plot of land at Camden Park for 31k Straits Dollars. The new Clubhouse came with dance floor, stage, bar billiard room, a library and of course tennis courts.
1950
July 25

1950

Sponsors have always played a major part in the club’s history. From airlines to automobiles, they were all there.
1959
May 25

1959

The club was until then mostly managed by its members and a small number of staff. With the increase of activities and expansion of food and beverage services, the first General Manager was employed in 1959, Mr. van Reeken. Not all the General Managers that followed were Dutch, in fact most of them were either Singaporean or British.
July 25

1959

The Club Magazine is one of the most important ways to promote the Club in Singapore and for communication to members. There is no proof of any publication before 1940. The first booklet was published in 1959 in A5 format. In 1996, it became an A4 size format and from 2003 it received its name: “The Magazine”.
1965
July 25

1965

Entertainment in Singapore was scarce, which resulted in more and more events organised at the Club. Carnaval was introduced in 1965. As the transport to and from Asia was getting easier, famous artists from Holland would visit the club to perform.
1970
July 25

1970

There was one thing the club never had; a swimming pool. Members would go to other clubs such as the Singapore Swimming Club to relax by the pool. In the late sixties, it was suggested to convert one tennis court into a swimming pool during an AGM. Tennis being the oldest sport played at the Club, there was quite some uproar. However, members were convinced and 1 tennis court converted into a pool.
1977
July 25

1977

The Club professionalised in food and beverage service which would start to become an increasingly important element of club life. With the arrival of Bert Bronsveld as President, the swimming pool was rebuilt, a new tennis pavilion was opened and additional tennis courts were available. New sports became popular such as squash, snooker, golf, yoga, ballet and fitness.
1980
July 25

1980

December Magazine
1993
July 25

1993

Swimming at the Club was a great success. The umbrellas back then were made of straw!
1994
July 25

1994

1994 Hockey became very popular too and soon the members would have their own Hollandse Club team and organise join competitions such as ZOAT.
2000
July 25

2000

One of the first Davis Cup’s took place.
2016
July 25

2016

2016 Being member of a Club wasn’t as cool as it used to be. Young families would live more and more in condos, expat packages were changing and networking and activities could be enjoyed everywhere. It was decided that it was time for a drastic turnaround. The joining fee was waived and the social membership launched. The Club was fully rebranded and received a new logo and brand. It would start to look like a Bali Beach resort, with fresh colours and fun quotes.
2017
June 28

2017

Today the Club is an international, family friendly community. Our focus it to be warm welcoming to nationalities from all over the world. We take play seriously and organise many events and activities. We have over 1500 adult members who love to be member of the club and create memorable moments with family and friends.